Sunday, January 10, 2010

Thoughts About the January Journal "Page"

Whenever I have a project to do but no specific design in mind, thoughts come into my head at the strangest times.  I usually keep some sort of writing material with me so I can jot down notes or sketches.  Awhile ago I decided that my format for the Bead Journal Project would be a small felted vessel but I wasn't sure if I'd have a specific theme or if I would just play it by ear each month.  The ear thing won out, so I'm just letting ideas float into my head about my life, feelings, concerns, goals, etc. while I try to visualize translating those ideas into bead work.  I don't know when I'll be able to make my first vessel - it had better be soon though, since I will still have to bead it after it's dry.

I didn't want to lose track of the thoughts I had about my January piece so I made a few sketches.  This probably isn't the final sketch - version 2 replaced version 1 rather quickly.  But I thought I would document my process here.  There may not even be a final sketch on paper, as I may change my mind while I'm in the beading process itself.





I had every intention of making the vessel today.  But I was having a strong feeling about organizing my office, so rather than spend the day in the wet lab, I started attacking the piles of stuff that have prevented me from working efficiently for ages.  Here's the first part that I tackled.  How on earth does a person let things get as out of control as this?!  Well, at least now I can walk into my office without tripping on something - yay!



I still have a very long way to go, since I kept finding distractions such as laundry, the need to eat, mom wanting to go out for a cappuccino, and marveling at discovering things that I thought had been "lost" forever. Like a bag full of Czech pressed glass leaf beads...

Since I started this post I got interrupted with making and eating dinner, sorting through more stuff that was in the piles that I removed, watching a bit of TV, discarding more stuff, and now it's time to hit the sack.  Maybe I'll dream about another design for January's journal vessel.

Until next time, have a happy and creative week!

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well Carol it sounds to me that we are living parrallel lives!! I keep thinking on my BJP project, my studio is a disaster and other projects keep pulling me away from cleaning up the mess. Of course the pulling does not have to be hard to distract me!!! I am sure that your vessel will be glorious, can't wait to see it!!!
Best !
Elizabeth

Sandy said...

Looks like a working office to me. It's fun to follow your design process.

Shirley Cook - Jumping Jack Glass said...

If you'll note - there's a word on my version 1 sketch - "Chaos" - so I thought it was appropriate to combine my sketches with that photo of a small portion of my office in a single post. LOL! I sure hope I can make that vessel today, it's been calling me for weeks now.

Sweetpea said...

Another *parallel lifer* here! Shirley, I LUVLUVLUV your vessels and cannot wait to see what you come up with for the BJP year...

Funny, I woke up this morning thinking, "I gotta clean up my work corner or I ain't gonna get any beading done!" My corner is totally outta control but your post is giving me new inspiration. Here's to an inspired cleanup for all!!

Beady Zoo said...

Shirley, when I first saw the pic of your office, I thought "how did she get into my house?" Looks quite similar to the jumble next to my desk! And interruptions and side-tracking is so familiar as well. Here's to organization and creativity, saving the chaos only to be depicted in our artwork.
--
Kathy B

rosebud101 said...

I'm so glad I'm note only one who's work area looks, um, shall we say, a bit untidy? lol I need to get going and clean it up. You inspire me, Shirley!

Shirley Cook - Jumping Jack Glass said...

Somehow, I had a feeling that I wasn't the only person in the universe who has clutter issues. :-) I'm glad I could inspire someone with the picture of the least cluttered space in my office. Yes, i said LEAST. Just wait 'til you see my other pix - LOL!

unnur said...

Im really addicted to leaves, yours are so pretty....

Shirley Cook - Jumping Jack Glass said...

Thank you, Linda! I guess you can tell that I'm addicted to leaves as well. I've been making glass leaf beads for almost 5 years now and I'm still not tired of them.

Robin said...

Today is Wednesday... Did you make your vessel? Let go of perfection... It's only the first of 12 pieces... Just do it!!! Love your Version 2 sketch, but however it comes out will be great!

Robin a.

Shirley Cook - Jumping Jack Glass said...

Robin, I started laying out the fibers - that's as far as I've gotten. Thanks for the nudge! :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice blog as for me. I'd like to read more concerning this theme. Thank you for posting that data.
Joan Stepsen
Computer geeks

The bad Liz said...

Just as some of the others have mentioned, I wondered when you were in my house and took a photo of my desk....

Can't wait to see your final version versus your starting idea.

Liz - www.thebadliz.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Color Inspiration!