Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Old Friends - Redux

In the last week or so, I've been spending some of my torch time revisiting "old friends" - beads for which I was known in the past. My most well-known beads are from my "Bronze Age" series which began with the juried auction "Obsession: A Ten Year Affair With The Bead", held by the International Society of Glass Beadmakers back in 2002. My original Bronze Age bead was accepted by the jury and published in the auction catalog. I continued the Bronze Age series, and in 2004, 3 of these beads were published in Lark Book's "1000 Glass Beads" (see page 296). Prompted by my part-time biz partner Nanette Young-Greiner, I began making them again after a several-year hiatus. This one is currently in my Etsy shop.


But I couldn't stop there - I decided to bring back my "Seaside" beads last week when I made one as a gift for a special customer. These beads are rather labor intensive, but such a joy to create. Since I don't have immediate access to the ocean -- and I've been reading all about Pam's vacation there -- I figured the next best thing would be to bring the ocean to me. Here's "Seaside", and I've just added it to my shop.



In fiber news, the vessel that I worked on last night that was going to have a bug on it turned out not at all the way I had hoped. I learned a big lesson, and I'll have to come up with a very creative way to embellish it. Rather than a vessel, it looks much more like a chiminea for heaven's sake! That one will sit for awhile, I'm afraid. And I'll try a different approach to the "bug" vessel.

Here is my unembellished Rose Garden vessel. I'm much happier with this one, although the colors turned out a lot lighter than I had anticipated. Yep, I'm still learning about fiber...


And now I'm off for an afternoon break with mom and the fur kids. Hope your day has been happy and creative!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Color Inspiration!